Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Change...

No one likes change but a wet baby...Why? Change is hard. However, in order to change my body, I have to change my thinking. I need to rescript my self-image. When I hit record on my self-talk and then play back the recording, what do I hear? Too often it is negative: I am old...I am fat...I am wrinkled...I am plain...I am ...I am...I am...

The list of negative descriptors goes on and on. So, my first challenge is how to rewrite the messages I send myself. Why? Because everything that follows, " I am..." Is manifested in my life. What are some positive statements? I am capable... I am organized... I am trustworthy... I am kind...I am efficient.

Hmmm...closer, but still not on target. These are more about what I do than who I am. Let's try again. I am lovable...I am smart...I am pretty. Okay...those sound better. Problem is, intellectually I believe them, but emotionally I am not there yet.

So, what is the solution? Make these statements a mantra. Repeat them until they become part of my emotional "muscle memory". Like an athlete, I will keep practicing until it becomes the norm.
Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment